Dental implants are replacement tooth roots that provide a permanent base for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth. Dental implants can be used to support a number of dental prostheses, including crowns, implant-supported bridges, and dentures.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a replacement tooth that looks just like the real thing. Made from metal, porcelain, or ceramic, the implant is surgically implanted into the jaw, where it fuses with the jawbone through a process called osseointegration. The implant is then able to serve as a base for a replacement tooth.
Implants are not only used for aesthetic purposes. They also help preserve bone and stimulate healthy bone growth. In addition, they can prevent further deterioration of your bite. Since they feel just like natural teeth, they are comfortable and easy to maintain. And the procedure is permanent! No need to take them out every night to clean them like you would dentures. However, you will need to floss underneath the gums each day to prevent gum disease from developing around the implant. Talk to your dentist today to find out if you’re a candidate for dental implants.
Dental Implants - Process
The first step of the procedure is to place the dental implant itself. A titanium post will be surgically implanted into the jawbone. This will require an incision in the gum tissue in order to expose the bone where the implant will be placed. Once the implant is in place, the gums will heal around it, and the bone will begin to grow and fuse with the implant through a process called osseointegration. Osseointegration can take up to six months to complete allowing your jaw to heal properly before the abutment is placed. After the abutment is attached, a custom dental crown will be created to match your natural teeth in color and shape. The crown is then cemented to the abutment for a permanent restoration that blends in seamlessly with the rest of your teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants can permanently replace missing teeth, with benefits including:
- Improved speech and precision when eating and speaking.
- Easier day-to-day activities, such as cleaning and chewing food.
- Increased self-confidence that comes from having a beautiful smile.
- Protection from bone recession that occurs after a tooth is lost.
- Preservation of your facial structure by preventing bone loss in the jaw that results from tooth loss.
- Long-lasting treatment for patients who have lost a single tooth or multiple teeth. Some patients can benefit from implant-retained bridges or full sets of dentures.
- Durability that lasts for a lifetime with proper care.
- Saving of time and money compared to other types of restorations that need to be replaced over time.
To learn more about dental implants, visit Sandia Peak Dental at 8000 Eubank Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87122. You can also reach Dentist Albuquerque, NM at (505) 298-6732.